<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/9137772?origin\x3dhttp://brotherswithoutanswers.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, December 24, 2006 . 3:53 AM

101 things I ought to know by Xmas'06


heyo pals....

sorry for my short hiatus from the bloggosphere! EXAMS HAVE ENDED!!!!I've been checking back for updates very frequently; often am culpable for deliberate "voyeurism". Not that I'm so busy with exams I couldn't afford an entry (in fact, I do have alot of time at my disposal!) but there's really nothing very interesting going on over here! 2006 is coming to a closure. It has indeed been a hell of a ride! From a change of 'identity' (military personnel to slacking civilian to minority student) to a change of geographical boundaries (tiny Singapore and BIG BIG USA), this year has seen many many many, so many changes, I can hardly imagine I've been through such a "thrilling" year... Well, here's my little reflections after I left Singapore - 18th August 2006...

101 things I ought to know by Xmas 2006

1. Airport farewells can be excruciating!!! Miss ya guys lots!

2. Travelling before school starts is a good way to start your semester right!
3. Madison is really a VERY peaceful city...
4. Having the BIG sis around to settle me down is truly a blessing I must not take for granted. Thanks Jie! :)

5. Uncertainties is CERTAINLY not what I like. That, I'm certain.
6. It takes some time for an idle person to get used to hectic life again
7. I think I'm not that mentally agile after army! Is it age or is it army? :(
8. Give yourself some time to adjust - be patient with yourself
9. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and He will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
10. I have a gene for dance! Now, when can I start ballroom dancing???
11. Meals can be easy to prepare - if you ain't a choosy eater. I realise anything goes! As long as it keeps me full... even if it means eating pasta for 4 days!

12. I am the #1 rice fan in the world! Anything, anything for CARBS! I LOVE MY CARBS!
13. So gonna binge on hawker foods and Jap food when I return in Summer.
14. I shall never cook stuff with my Croc pot! I'd be eating poison!
15. Snacking is extremely unhealthy - but it's my way of life here.
16. Getting As in the first midterms certainly doesn't guarantee As in the second!
17. I've gotta give it my best in every quiz, midterm and exam - that's the US education system for you! - every single thing counts, and that finals aren't a big deal afterall! I NEED TO BE (more) CONSISTENT!
18. Time and time again, I think of Singapore. Family and friends...

19. Chores, no matter how it irks, has to and must be done. No dirty dishes and laundry allowed!
20. It's ok to skip a couple of lectures.
21. Fall colours are absolutely mesmerizing. Hues of red, orange and yellow... colours of burning passion! I like!
22. Leg Wednesdays are something I look forward to each week. Great time to destress, great place to chill out, great wings to feast on! Buffalo Wings, YUM!

23. Wisconsin's THE place to get the best diary products!
24. Weekly friday grocery shopping is an alternative stress-therapy.
25. The only thing that I'll but and not think twice about parting ways with my USD is ICE-CREAM! Man, the icecream is CHEAP and FANTASICALLY DELICIOUSLY MINDBLOWING! I'm always spoiled for choice!
26. Vit C keeps the flu bug away from me! Always an effective defense against the common cold!
27. Exercise is an excellent way to calm the nerves. The importance of it cannot be under emphasized! It keeps you alert, fresh blah blah blah (the list goes on....)
28. I still like running - yes, giddy horse I am, and will always be.
29. Never Skype or MSN video conference with 小黑人!
30. It's ok to treat myself to really decent meals once in a while. Good food boosts morale!
31. Friday mornings are so important to me...
32. Letters/parcels from Singapore never fail to put a smile on my face! Thank you!!

33. Brace oneself for the unexpected. Even buddies drop bombs on you!
34. Uni math sucks!!! I hate sequences and series!!! Makes me SERIOUSLY MAD!
35. We have to always count our opportunity costs!
36. Quality and not quantity of friendship is MORE important.
37. Never stop talking to God. N-E-V-E-R!
38. Although I didn't have a culture shock, I know I'll never fit into the American culture. You'll get what I mean when you get the chance to be here!
39. Culture plays an integral role in shaping one's personality and behavior.
40. We are all potential professional "chefs", if not for the scholarship! HAHA..

41. Psychology is the most interesting course I've taken this semester.
42. So is Organic Chemistry.
43. Economics is not my cup of tea.
44. My math deteriorated... *sobz*
45. Learn to be more tolerant and more appreciative of diversed cultures. And grow to like the differences too! We are all UNIQUE and this uniqueness is meant to be celebrated!!!
46. The Americans love mooncakes!

47. Establishing good relations with your prof is pretty essential. Not a must, but good to have.
48. That being a Christian is like being a pumpkin

49. Madison is where all the Halloween action is!!! No where else in US has a halloween party bigger than THIS!

50. I'll never miss a single Halloween party as long as I'm in the US during Halloween!!!
51. Groupthink, deindividuation and dehumanization take place in events like Halloween! People do INSANE things on the streets!
52. Taking maximum credits for first sem is SUPER stressful! Shall advise juniors never to do such a crazy thing!
53. Being estranged can be a terrible feeling
54. We are all social creatures - NO MAN IS AN ISLAND!!!
55. Writing is SO tedious! Maybe because I'm so bad with words....
56. Army days can be SO brainlessly fun!

57. If you ever wanna go abroad, PLEASE BOOK YOUR TICKETS EXTRA EARLY!!!
58. Should never take your friends for granted! NEVER!
59. Dilemmas are part of life - LIVE WITH IT!
60. Librarians here are of great help. UW's library collections are insanely huge! You'll drown in the information you can find here!
61. My floormates are nice people.

62. I do realise I like to procrastinate...
63. Prima's Laksa premix is superb!
64. Bananas is a healthy, filling and convenient snack.
65. Always take the stairs and not the elevator.
66. A traditional American Thanksgiving feast is indescribably good! *stomach growls*

67. Getting at least 7 hours of sleep is sufficient for me now. No afternoon nappings! And yes, I'VE BEEN SLEEPING VERY WELL HERE!!! And I love to snooze (which is B-A-D!)
68. Some rational reasonings are actually lame excuses.
69. People like to draw lines.
70. We make good turkeys! Hehee....

71. Driving in a fog can be VERY dangerous!!! What an experience (tsk... it was quite fun!) HAHA
72. Smoke detectors are pests!
73. Playing Pictionary is a good way to kill time in a log cabin.
80. I deliberately left out 74-79 coz I'm running out of things to write!!
81. Thankgiving break is way TOO short!
82. Turkey is insanely cheap after thanksgiving! HM... i shall store up on turkey after thanksgiving when I have move into my own apartment. (38 cents turkey??!?)

83. It is important to settle housing matter as soon as possible!
84. Snow is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! And it's white (DUH???)... so pleasing to my eye!

85. I must make a bigger snowman next time...
86. Boots are extremely important! Never walk on THIN ICE!!
87. Planning an itinerary for a holiday isn't something I'll wanna do again just 2 weeks before the exams!
88. There is a very thin line between the mad and the not-mad.
89. I have very faithful friends... thank you guys! I broke the Nalgene cap! :(

90. I will never take another economics class.
91. I will never take another economics class.
92. I will never take another economics class.
93. Exam period passed by EXTREMELY SLOWLY...
94. Pride and Prejudice is a good movie, but I suspect the book is better.
95. I did not do as well as I have expected for Ochem in my final exam...
96. 2006 is a year of freak weather! Floods in Singapore and a very warm December here in Madison!
97. That I owe Weibin a present and Slacker owes me a BIG present!
98. I will NEVER take another economics class.
99. Grades aren't EVERYTHING!
100. I will be back home in 5 months!
101. GOD HAS BEEN FAITHFUL TO ME. HAD BEEN, HAS BEEN and WILL ALWAYS BE.

Will be leaving for Orlando on Christmas Eve... To the urban city I go! YAY! Before I go off, just wanna wish you guys a BLESSED


God bless and have a good new year too.. till 2007.

cheerios,
dash