<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/9137772?origin\x3dhttp://brotherswithoutanswers.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Monday, July 14, 2008 . 4:18 AM

c-AM-br-I-dge week 6


as the days go by, as home draws closer, i find myself falling in love in cambridge more and more. i can't imagining leaving this place in two weeks time, yet i can quite imagine myself coming back again for phD. still have a year or 2 to decide on this...

the first and main pull factor for doing my phD here in the UK is that I'll be able to "buy back" 2 years of time by finishing graduate studies in 3 (or maybe 4) years, whereas in the US, one probably takes a minimum of 5 years to graduate..maybe 6 or even 7! I mentioned earlier that funding doesn't seem to be problem here in the UK. Well, after clarifying with grad students here as well as doing my own research, I take back what I said earlier. Not all labs are as well funded as the labs my friends and I are working in right now. Prof V's (my PI) is among one the most resourceful in terms of clinching grants. Thus, funding-wise, the US is definitely far superior compared to the UK. More money translates to more cutting edge technologies, more accessbile resources and perhaps more efficient and productive research. but I believe that its entirely up to an individual to make the most out of his education. Even though the US seems to be THE choice for graduate schools, renowned for its rigorous graduate training and vibrant research climate, I do feel that it is possible for one to make his mark in the UK. There are other reasons why the UK is winning me over (for now...) which I shall not go into because it's way past my bedtime now!!!

The BBQ organized by the Graduate Student Society last Thursday, held at Darwin College Island was a time of bonding with my labmates... Found out more reasons why I should do my phD in the UK!! haha.... :D
Thanks to Sonali, Kenneth was able to stay over at our place for the weekend, which meant I was spared a National Express Coach ride down to London this week!!! Hooray!!! I was praying so hard I don't have to suffer through another 2 hours of coach ride this week as I'll have to take the coach down to London next week to catch a bus to Edinburgh (that's another 9 hours!), and then the following week to London Heathrow airport... So definitely, heading up north to Norwich was the choice option! Besides, the train ticket up to the Norfolk region of UK was only 6.25 pounds! Far far cheaper (and far more comfortable) than a National Express Coach ticket down to London.
River Wensum rings the historic city of Norwich - apparently the second largest city in the UK, second to London.
At Norwich Market

Contemplated very long if i should to get a hat for Halloween this year.... 5 pounds only! but didn't get it in the end.
Norwich Castle
Overlooking Norwich City from the castle

Riverside stroll along river Wensum
final stop of the day: the Norwich Cathedral


specially set aside this sunday to be in cambridge, as this will be last sunday here in 2008! :( tried to exploit the most out of the summer sale here, as well as to take in more of this charming city. we woke up early this morning to prepare bento boxes for our little 'picnic' at claire hall's garden.

the weather was perfect today, perhaps a little to warm for the Brits... we sat around the gardens and river cam, laughing, chatting... just enjoying the weather and the awesome company. later in the day, we walked up to the castle mound to view the entire city from atop, had dinner at a pub and sent kenneth off to his coach back to London. A simple but thoroughly memorable weekend... another to add my collection of wonderful UK weekends! :)
home: 14 days
dash