Sunday, April 24, 2005 . 12:24 AM
on going through the motions
Life has never been that mundane in the recent weeks. For the past month, week after week, I would be doing almost the same thing, at the same location, during the same time of the week. Say religiously glueing myself to Desperate Housewives Monday after Monday while slurping on a bowl of piping cup noodles, and running my lungs out every Mon-Wed-Fri during ARR training. As for training, it's definitely much slacker than the BMT phase. We conduct weaponry training, signal and navigation familiarisation for the men and occasional physical activities like combat runs and SOCs. Furthermore, we sergeants are less particular about the nitty gritties of discipline and that meant a healthier stress meter. Period. So for most part, we actually get to take afternoon naps, watch movies, go shop at e_mart and enjoy all the free time we have. Sadly, this sedentary lifestyle that we are leading now will soon come to an end and morph into that where indolent soldiers embrace the nature reluctantly having camo cream and mosquitoes as playmates. *shudder* Thankfully, I am a VCom. Dismounting from a M113 would be the last thing on my mind. As for the weekends,
home is my fave hideout for it provides the warmth and peace that my soul howls for when I am in camp. I particularly enjoy the family meals where we all get together to talk and surfeit our tummies with good food. Mom, Dad and Sri always whip up a spread whenever I am home for the weekend so I could not bear to turn down their overflowing love and thoughtfulness for me by being the unfilial son "who treats his house like a hotel." *snorts* I also preoccupied with being the reckless driver... Just today, I got 3 immediate failures! All because I made inappropriate turns at the inappropriate times.
But I digress. Back to my banal life. But before that, I would like to elucidate that a dull life is not equivalent to no life. To a layperson, it probably means the same. A vapid and uninteresting lifestyle equals to no life. A vibrant and exciting life equals to life. This whole defining what "life" means business becomes so elusive. At times I question myself "What life?" when I am going through a dry patch of life (like now) where nothing seems to excite me. That probably explains why I am missing in action lately. Digest this if you still don't get what I mean.
"Drudgery is the touchstone of character. there are times when there is no illumination and no thrill, but just the daily round, the common task. Routine is God's way of saving us between our times of inspirations. Do not expectr God always to give you His thrilling minutes, but learn to live in the domain of drudgery by the power of God." So instead of feeling lousy, bitter and resentful of my current "no life" life, I have learnt to lean not on the thrilling moments of life but the appreciate the simplicities of the dailies that we often take for granted. That would mean to say, the phrase "no life" does not exist in MY dictionary - at least. So what if I am currently leading an uninteresting life? No outings, no clubbings, no movies, no entertainment.... I beg to differ. I am having the time of my life working on my daily round and common tasks. I am certain that the thrilling moments are awaiting ME! For now, I have to go through the motions. Till we meet again to discuss our Kinabalu trip??? : )
PeAce OuT,
dash















