Sunday, February 06, 2005 . 8:32 PM
Come undone
Hmmm...I know tis' my third consec entry... Guys, where are you? Or am I really THAT free? Or is it just that I really ahve nothing to do while doing duty - on a sunday.
Anyway, have decided to come out with a list of top 10 songs from the start of 2004 till today, each of time representing a special period during the past year or providing me with comfort during a tough time. I realise it's really very hard to squeeze out 10 songs, so there's some bonus at the end. Haha...
Here goes...
10)Dark Sky - Stephanie Sun
This was during the period when we just got enlisted. I can remember I kept playing it during the break during chinese new year. Just enlisted for a week or 2 then, but felt really homesick, sorta. The night when I was able to book out and I reach home, my parents went out to buy some nian(2) huo(4) and I was left alone, so I switched it on very loud and just sang along. Really felt nostalgic then, considering this song lasted me from the Prelims till I enlisted. And everytime my dad would send me to pasir ris to prepare for book-in. And that was the time when I really, really wish I can just stay at home and rot myself away. It was one of the time when the song just played on radio when we were on the way there. Flooded my mind with nostalgy. Aaahhhh, it's the sort of feeling when you know you're growing up but yet at a phase you wish you aren't at. It's that feeling of sourness but you know it'll be silly to cry and words just can't describe the way you feel. Am quite surprised at the song, for it lasted me from Prelims till enlistment, and now speaking of it brings out the nostalgy...
Capture factor - Wo ai shang rang wo fen bu gu shen de yi ge ren, wo yi wei zhe jiu shi... ...wo xian zai hao xiang hui jia qu....
Dedication - Dad, one of my first love and loviest. One who endures so much hardship just to bring home to us a good life. One who is unselfish, always putting others above yourself, always loving. Many times I want to tell you that I love you, but it feels kinda weird, so I always try to make it up with massage, though I'm usually lazy. Haha.. There you go. Thanks for always being there by my side to support me and giving me such a good life. I really thank God for you, simply you. =) I love youuuuuu!
9)Goodbye Again - Vertical Horizon
It's just the nostalgic tune of this song that hooks onto me. Hmmm...realise I keep using the word nostalgic. Perhaps it's just a time of looking back and reflecting on what happened during the past year...Listened to it a lot during my TSS (Temporary Support Staff) time back at Nee Soon Camp as a mess boy. Wow, that was a time! Super nice life (aka super slack life) during those days man. But then I got posted to PLAB and things weren't the same anymore, so now when I hear this song, the tune ringing in my head, the chorus repeating itself, it just makes me want to go back to that period. But then people always take what they have for granted... I only wish I'd have seen how lucky I was back then. This song is a sure fire and i think, will last me for a very long time...
Capture factor - It's in your mind, it's in your eyes, so I guess it's goodbye again...
Dedication - Unknown.
8)It Only Hurts When I Breathe - Shania Twain
Wow, I'm surprised at the longevity of this song actually...lasted me from mid 2003 when it first came out, A levels prelim, A levels, turkey trip(was repeating it over and over again), last year throughout and now, still going strong. The tune and melody is the heart of this song, the tune is is oh so refreshing yet so familiar, the tune that just keeps playing in your head, a tune only Shania Twain can belt out effortlessly. Funny the irony in the song, talking about being able to move on and carry on with life while being strong, hurting only when you're, well, breathing. Reminds me of myself - always reminding myself that I must be strong and not anyone bring me down. Yet in my heart I know that every moment that I live, there're some things that I just can't let go and it only hurts when I think about them. Sometimes, there are things that I can't do to rectify the problem, but I just don't bother, instead immersing myself in the computer (previous entry). Sometimes, things are just fixed the way they are, and there's no way, ok, quite impossible, for things to change. So you just gotta live with it and...walk along.
Capture factor - Hope life's been good to you since you've been gone, I'm doing fine now I've finally move on. It's not that bad, I'm not that sad. I'm not surprised just how well I survived, I'm over the worst now and I feel so alive. I can't complain, I'm free again....
And it only hurts when I'm breathing.
My heart only breaks when it's beating.
My dreams only die when I'm dreaming.
It only hurts, when I breathe...
Dedication - I'd like to dedicate this piece for myself. My own entertaintment.
7) Everytime - Britney Spears
It's funny how Britney is always able to do it. Every album full of weird songs (which many deem rubbish but yet, I like!) and she never fails to come out with a song or 2 in her albums that is able to 'hook' me 'up'. Haha... First were Lucky and Where are you now, then I Runaway, now Shadow and Everytime. Actually this song comes hand in hand with Shadow. 2 songs that kept repeating themselves during 2 periods - one time when we went to Perth and the other, when I was halfway through the combat medic course when I was, again, having 'depression'. Haha.. Like how Lucky and Where are you now accompanied me through my secondary school years when I felt sad. It's really strange how just one song can make you feel so overwhelmed. It's even more strange how the lyrics do not apply at all yet I feel so, connected?
Ok, never mind, only truly Britney fans will understand. Haha! Oops!
Capture factor - Our love was strong, why carry on without me?
Dedication - You who never really move on without me yet always waiting for me. It's never you, it's always me. Serious. Just wanna say thanks. Love ya!
6) Here I Am To Worship - Tim Hughs/Above All - Michael W. Smith
What can I say? The name has it all. Here I am to worship the One above All.
Light of the world You came down into darkness, all for love's sake became poor.
You thought of me, above all...
Both songs unique, both songs that made me teared the first time I heard...
5) Gratitude - Nicole Nordeman
4) Whole Again - Jennifer Knapp
3) Angels & Demons - Dishwalla
2) Pieces of Me - Ashlee Simpson
Any guesses for Number 1? Haha...It's really not that hard, but the following remake indeed hit top spot for the year 2004. Though a remake, I've never really heard the original. Both fans and critics say that the remake is unjustified, but then again, if she hadn't release it, my whole music landscape would've change. Haha...
1) Angels - Jessica Simpson















