Tuesday, September 19, 2006 . 6:33 AM
part 1 of 3: rebirth
Hey peeps,
today is a very "special" day.
I have been away from home for a month.
Yep, absolutely. Away from the hugs I used to get.... Away from the nags I used to get.... Away from the warmth and care from family and friends.... Away from all my fave Singaporean delights.... Away from the hustles of city life.
Well, this is probably the longest time ever I've been "exiled"from home.*poos* The longest before this was some army training overseas to either, Taiwan or Australia - I think. 20 odd days.... But this time around, it's not going to be soon.
Not quite yet.
Like a friend once said, "Going to a different place, requires like a rebirth." And I can't help but agree 101% on that. I'd my initial struggles...
First and foremost, I have to take care of simple everyday chores which I would take lightly back in the comforts of my own home. You probably won't believe this, but I actually make my own bed every morning (hey don't laugh)!!! And I arrange my shoes neatly in the usual army fashion (each pair side by side under the bed), mop the floor with disinfectant every Sunday, empty the rubbish, and do my own laundry. Speaking of laundry, I even have to decide when I should do it and how should I go about doing it such I maximise the load everytime I dump my dirty clothings into the washing machine!!! One wash costs USD2!!! If you are wondering if my dirty clothes stink up the room? Hell no! Haha... I make sure I air them thoroughly so ther won't be any bad smell emanating from the laundry basket. Hehee.. Ops, think I'm being too explicit here. And dryer ruins my clothes! It's impossible to sun dry clothings here unlike in sunny Singapore. I tell you after 10 more washes or so, all my clothings will start "qi mao-ing" - some have already! - meaning having the rough, coarse, degrading texture. Last but not least, the grocery shopping which is a form a weekly stress therapy. I like....
And then, WEATHER! I never knew weather could have such a severe impact on my everyday lifestyle. Weather affects my mood, weather dictates what I wear, weather decides whether I go out or stay in. I can totally understand when the seniors say "When it turns cold, you really don't wanna take a single step out of your dorms." Initially I was thinking, "Chey, cold weather only what. Just wear a few more layer lor." But boy, I am so wrong. Last weekend, there was this continuous stretch of intermittent rain and overcasted skies. The winds, when they blow on your face, makes it so numb as though a piece of your cheek is gonna fall off. I missed the sun for 5 whole days so I thought I might have been suffering from some sort of depression. Being the hypochondriac at home, I went to google on a psychological disorder called "Seasonal Affective Disorder" (SAD - see, even the acronym says it all - it makes afflicted ones sad!). Commonly known as "Winter Depression", SAD causes a sense of sadness, loss and lethargy that can accompany the shortening days of fall and winter, and affects generally the mood and well-being of the person. Don't freak out ok? I'm fine. I'd better take this opportunity now to bask in the sun before summer slips away. Fall should be coming soon. Keeping warm is so so important here. And before I leave my room for lessons, I'd think twice. Umbrella, no umbrella? Sweater? Sandals or shoes? GGGGGRRRR....
As I've mentioned earlier, weather affects my everyday activity. So what I decide to do everyday (besides attending lessons) can very much be foiled by Zeus... Some days, I'd rather lock myself up in my room with a cup of hot drink. I know cooping myelf up isnt healthy, so I try my very best to eat healthy (bananas everyday!!! Enough lifetime supply of K!) and sleep soundly. I walk to all my classes and choose the stairs over the elevators... Like I've to climb up 8 flights of stairs to get to my room. Yes, everyday.... This is to ensure I get some form of exercise, albeit a little pathetic. I went for a night run yesterday with my roomie and he commented that army did train me well. After a 30 minute run on the undulating grounds of my campus, my roomie gave up, whereas I still had this burst of energy to continue. Felt really good to sweat it all out that night. I have yet to check out the gym. And keeping active ties in with maintaining good health, since I'm like so prone to flu. I think exercising also keeps me more alert and improves concentration. You guys should get your lazy ass out under the Singapore Sun and keep fit!!! Alas, for me, weather still has the final say on whether I get my outdoor activities. You guys are so lucky!!
Ok, enough about the 'rebirth' process. Part 2 will come up on the 18th October 2006 (US time), so mark your calendars!!! *LoL*
The 3Fs I'm missing now....
Food

This sounds insane, maybe even psychotic - taking pleasure from looking at my fave foods even I don't get to smell, touch or eat them. *poos* Haha.... Chicken rice I miss you. Laksa I miss you. Sushi-san, I wanna eat you, and sambal Kangkong!! Sri I want Kangkong!!! HAHAHA
Friends

And you guys, miss you all so so much. Everyone of you in the pic. I'm constantly reminded of your kindness and friendship whenever I pray for you all. Please continue to keep in touch, even though I may not be physically around, you know I'll away be "around". Take care!
Family!

How can I forget family DEAREST! I miss ya all so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much. Haha, Pa Ma don't think of me so much ok!!! You guys have really taught me the importance of family and what it means to love and care for one another. It's so unbearable when I think of it. It's like losing a part so intergral to my life. BUT it's part of growing up.... and I know you'll always be with me wherever I go...
miss ya all SO much,
dash















